Thursday, October 29, 2009

I know you want to hear all about my daughter's ordeal at the dentist!

Poor little Tabby had quite the adventure at the dentist's office on Wednesday.

It all started about a month ago when I took Tabby in for a check up and was told that Tabby would need two root canals and crowns due to some molars that were badly decayed. After the dentist was done looking at her, the front desk lady gave me the wonderful news that this procedure would cost me over $800.00! And yes, that's with our dental insurance (which is a total joke, BTW.) I kindly told the lady that there was no way that we could afford that and I guess I'll just have to let her teeth rot out of her mouth because there was nothing I could do if it was going to cost that much. I didn't win any of her sympathy with that so I left feeling trapped and ticked off that we pay lots of money for dental insurance every month that won't even come close to covering this crap. SO ANGRY!!! GRRRR! The dentist had even told Tabby during the exam that he was going to fix her "princess teeth" and when she learned that we couldn't do it, she started to cry that her "princess teeth" would turn ugly. Super awesome.

Well some great people (they read this blog, do they want me to say who they are? I'm not sure) heard of my problem and offered to chip in a great deal money to help get this done. Hallelujah! Fixed princess teeth after all!

I called and made the appointment and took her in this past Wednesday. To start things off, they gave her this gnarly "juice" to drink that made her really loopy and sleepy. It was really funny to see that even though she was totally out of it, she still wouldn't stop talking.

Anyway, they took her back and started working on her and a few minutes into it, the dentist called me back and said that the new x ray that he took showed the molars never had very deep roots and that they were very weak teeth and that's why they decayed so badly. I have to say that at this point I felt a bit of relief. I had been feeling like a terrible mom for not taking care of my kiddo's teeth like I thought I was. Turns out, the teeth were doomed from the start. The dentist even told me they would have decayed no matter what. Bad news is the x ray showed that a lot of her teeth were like that so dang it, we might have to do this again.

He says that he can't save the molars and they have to go so she ended up getting them yanked and she'll have to get spacers put in next week.

Needless to say, when she came to, she was shocked to find two of her teeth gone. She said "you mean I'm not getting crowns on my teeth?" I still wonder what her idea of crowns on her teeth was. Did she picture little tiny princess tiaras sitting on top of her teeth? =)

Still in the procedure chair, the assistant said she could take all of the gauze out of her mouth. In all her numbness she grabbed her tongue and started to try to pull it out of her mouth thinking it was the gauze. Funny stuff.

Anyhow, I got her home and laid her on the couch to sleep the meds off. I stepped out of the room for a second and when I came back, this is what I saw:
My little princess clutching her highly prized wand that she earned from the dentist's treasure box. A medal of honor you might say. She woke up long enough to ask me why the couch was rocking and then fell back asleep.

Once again I feel like a terrible mom though because of all the nights to have the tooth fairy come and leave money, she forgot! Poor Tabby woke up so dismayed. I don't blame her, she went through so much! On the way home from the dentist, she told me she thought the tooth fairy should leave her $100 because of how brave she was. Needless to say she was very excited to get to sleep that night. So she wakes up, and nothing! Dale tried to make it better by saying that the tooth fairy had been to a little girl in Germany and couldn't make it back in time but she will for sure come tonight. And she will. I'm going to make it up to her too. Normally the tooth fairy leaves a quarter but tonight, she will leave a $5 bill and a stuffed animal!

She went to school today so excited to show everyone her two new "teeth holes."

Funny little girl.

4 comments:

Melody Williamson said...

Isn't that the worst! The tooth fairy forgets all of the time! I have to say that she was busy and maybe she will come while you are at school and then do it then. lol OH and then I made a cute hanging sign that says "tooth fairy stop here" to hang on the door so that hopefully I see it and remember on my way to bed.

Tim and Shay said...

She is so darling. Our tooth fairy forgets almost every time and we have to make up for it the next night or tell our kids it fell behind the bed. I like Melody's idea. Maybe we wont forget if we do a sign to hang on the door. :o)

Five Silly Switzer's said...

poor girl!! The dentist is no fun, bad for me to say that since I work in ORTHO.Tooth Fairy has issues at our house too!!

Brenay Family said...

Poor girl. Sounds like she handled it well though!