Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Weekend Getaway

I can't believe it, we went on a family vacation! The last one we went on was when Rex was just a one year old! Our friends the Anderson's invited us up to stay in Show Low with them over the 4th of July weekend. On our drive up, I told Tabby there was no t.v. "NO TV!!!????!!!" she said. But lo and behold she managed to have fun without Wow Wow Wubzy and Blue's Clues.

On one of our pit stops (i.e. Rex peeing in the bushes on the side of the road) we saw this:
Nice!

Heidi had the best idea for making these flipping cute 4th of July hats to wear at the parade. We originally planned for the kids to make them but of course the moms were the ones sitting on the floor finishing them.

Ella was mad because she had to be restrained nearly the whole time. She kept trying to run off, of course. I used to think leashes on kids where inhumane, now I think they might be handy and practical.
The kids quickly learned that if you wave and jump around, you get candy thrown at you.
The moment Tabby realized this, she was all business. She must have got every piece of candy thrown with in a 5 mile radius. She filled her Daddy's pockets up with her loot.

Rex loved all the cowboys.

Later in the day we went to the lake nearby. The water was questionable so I didn't swim but the kids didn't mind a bit.
Tabby loved "fishing." We just tied a rubber weight to her string. There was NO WAY she was getting a hook.
The boats were a hit. With the kids anyway. Poor dads had to row all over the place. At one point, Rex dropped his oar in the water and Dale had to turn around and row all the way back to get it.
Here is Tatum and Tabby attempting to go somewhere.
The swings were so fun!

There was a big soccer field close to where we were so we just went there to see the fireworks.

By the way, here is a sequence of an attempted group picture with my kids. Why doesn't anyone want to give mom a nice picture?

Anyway, no offense Show Low but sending ONE firework up at a time for like 45 minutes!?! Come on! We were bored to tears after the first 5!
We stayed hoping the finale would pay-off. But that was lame-o too!

Saturday morning we woke up and all was well until I cricked my neck in the shower and I became a cripple for the rest of the day. It was unbelievably painful and poor Dale had to do everything but I got myself together and toughed the rest of the trip out with my head tilted to the side.

We went for a walk and fed some of the ranch horses. Rex sat on the horse for a millisecond and then wanted off. This poor gal was way pregnant and it must have almost been her "time" because her bottom lip was quivering as though she was really uncomfortable. Mm hmm, I know how you feel sista! Been there a time or two!

I had no idea my hubby was so awesome at skipping rocks! Even after 7 years, I'm still learning new things! I wonder if good rock skipping has something to do with having humongous calves?

7 comments:

Chad~Nicole said...

Yeah for a getaway! Those swings look so fun.

Karolee said...

Oh man! Those hats are too fun! Love em! Looks like you guys had a great time!

Tim and Shay said...

That's Show Low for you! But we still went every year for a quick get away. Looks like lots of fun!

Heather said...

Looks like you had a blast! Bummer about the fireworks. We went to Heber and they had an awesome fireworks show. Maybe you can try that next year.

All those things you guys did look so fun. Hmm maybe I'll go to Show Low next year.

The Frosts said...

I love a small town 4th of July! That stinks about the fireworks though. Looks like you had fun anyway! I also saw that you read The host it was so good, and I can't wait for her next book.

Kari said...

I love the hats you made! Sorry about your neck, that always stinks when you get hurt on vacation! Everything looked like so much fun!

Heidi Ann said...

We had SO much fun! We definitley need to do it again. Who ever said small towns are boring hasn't been to SL with us!